Discover how LonsdaleNET can make
waiting a thing of the past...
LonsdaleNET uses state of the art fibre optic and wireless technologies to supply reliable high speed broadband internet connections, often in rural locations, which other providers have left behind.
If you live within the coverage area of one of our wireless masts, or close to one of our fibre connection points shown on our website, we could get you connected to a new generation of speed.
- Speeds from 10 to 1,000Mbps Unlike our competitors, we only connect customers if they can receive a minimum of 10Mbps, to ensure stability. Most of our wireless customers enjoy 35Mbps increasing to the full 60Mbps for those that are within only a few miles of a LonsdaleNET mast. Fibre connections are between 100Mbps and 1,000Mbps.
- Say Goodbye to Buffering On slower broadband connections, streaming from services such as iPlayer and YouTube is likely to have included a lengthy buffering process in order to watch your chosen programme. However with LonsdaleNET, you are unlikely to have your viewing time interupted by the dreaded loading spinner.
- Symmetrical Speeds LonsdaleNET provides equal upload and download speeds unlike traditional broadband. This allows high quality Skype video calling, online backup of your important documents, as well as the ability to quickly share photos and videos with your friends and family via social media platforms. Excludes some business packages.
- No Phone Line Required Our residential packages include a Home Phone Service* where your current number can be transferred over to us** allowing you to save associated line rental costs. International calls are also significantly cheaper with calls to major destinations such as the USA for as little as 2p per minute.
- Rolling Month to Month Contract For your convenience we will not tie you into a long term contract and simply offer a rolling month to month arrangement on our residential packages.
- Locally Provided Support Our engineers constantly monitor the network to rectify any issues as they occur. However, in the unlikely event of a problem with your connection, our locally based staff are available from 8am to 10pm throughout the year (excluding major public holidays).
How It Works
Due to ease and speed of installation, we connect the vast majority of our customers via wireless. This simply involves placing a small rectangular device or dish (depending on distance from our mast) to the exterior of your property, which connects to our transmitters using line of sight technology. A 6mm cable joins the device into your property. Customers using this method receive 10-60Mbps symmetrical (download and upload) dependant on the distance from our mast with an average connection speed of 35Mbps. Future upgrades will allow up to 150Mbps.
With Fibre to the Premise (FTTP) being the most future proofed technology available due to the ability to increase speeds simply by upgrading equipment at either end of the fibre optic cable, where possible we look to connect customers via this method. Customers receive 100Mbps or 1,000Mbps via this method (capped to 10Mbps if on the Lite package).
Currently, due to high deployment costs, which often include significant civil engineering work, we only offer this service to premises near where we have laid fibre optic cable to connect one of our wireless masts. We do however look to deploy this service to areas where we have a high number of existing wireless customers or communities who can demonstrate significant demand for our products, to connect customers using this method from day one.
Inside Your Home
The following diagram shows how your devices can be connected. We provide a wireless router to connect to our wireless and fibre networks within your property.
- Wired: The recommended method to connect devices such as desktop computers giving you the maximum speed available from your LonsdaleNET connection. Simply connect an Ethernet cable from our router to your device.
- Wireless: Useful for connecting laptops, tablet computers and phones, this method simply requires you to be in range of our wireless router and can be logged in using the password you choose during installation.
- Home Plugs: Where hard wiring an Ethernet cable is not possible e.g. wireless is not within reach, we can supply Home Plugs which uplink your connection onto the power grid within your property and output at multiple other locations on the same power grid. At the output location, you can either plug in a computer via an Ethernet cable using the port or, if using a wireless Home Plug, you can simply log onto the extended wireless signal. The initial kit including an uplink device and a wireless broadcast device are available from us for £70.00. Additional wireless broadcast devices are available for £35.00 each with up to 5 able to connect to the uplink device.
As part of some of our packages or as a standalone product, we offer a phone service*. Existing numbers can be ported over to us** without the need to retain your existing phone line and thus the associated cost. International calls are also significantly cheaper with calls to major destinations for as little as 1p per minute. Also included are many of the features often only available for an additional cost with other providers such as Caller Display, Call Waiting and Voicemail.
The service can work either by plugging an existing phone into your LonsdaleNET router (free) or through the purchase of our dedicated handsets (£75.00 for the base and 1st handset and £25 for each additional handset). We recommend the purchase of our handsets which have been designed specifically for the type of phone service we offer and feature excellent sound quality along with integration with our service giving you information such as the number of voicemail messages you have.
Our wireless technology requires line of sight (i.e. without obstacles such as trees, etc) to one of our transmission masts. The map below shows the area we are generally able to serve.
If you are within this area, please call our friendly staff today who will be happy to profile your location to determine in more detail if we are able to serve you. Should you decide to book an installation, our engineers will perform a quick test at your property on the day of installation to confirm your property can be served and that you can receive the minimum 10Mbps speed. Should installation not be possible, no charge will apply.
We have an aggressive rollout plan over the next few years to expand our service to new locations.
Contact us today to discuss how we could revolutionise your community with high speed broadband.
Our residential packages are ideal for watching catch-up TV (such as iPlayer), video services (such as YouTube), social networking (such as Facebook) and working from home.
Installation to our wireless network costs a one off fee of £149.95 inc VAT which includes installation of a small device to your property to receive a signal from our mast, up to 15m of cabling into your property and a wireless router. Fibre connection costs subject to distance to a connection point and survey. Once installed, you can choose from one of the following packages.
- 10Mbps Speed
- 10GB Download Allowance Per Month
- Free UK Landline Calls Evenings and Weekends
£19.95 inc VAT Per Month
- 10-60Mbps on Wireless or 100-1,000Mbps on Fibre
- 150GB Fair Usage Per Month (Lightly Enforced)
- Free UK Landline Calls Anytime
£29.95 inc VAT Per Month
Our business packages are perfect for those areas higher speed internet access is unavailable or simply to reduce costs. The packages we offer are a great alternative to leased lines at much cheaper prices while maintaining all the benefits.
Installation to our wireless network costs a one off fee of £250.00 + VAT which includes installation of a small device to your building to receive a signal from our mast, up to 25m of cabling into your building and a wireless router. Once installed, you can choose from one of the following packages. Installation on fibre and faster speeds delivered over leased lines available on request.
- Small Business
- 10Mbps Download Speed
- 5Mbps Upload Speed
- 250GB Fair Usage Per Month (Lightly Enforced)
£50.00 + VAT Per Month
- 10Mbps Symmetrical Speed
- 500GB Fair Usage Per Month (Lightly Enforced)
£100.00 + VAT Per Month
- Super Business
- 25Mbps Symmetrical Speed
- 1,000GB Fair Usage Per Month (Lightly Enforced)
- Free UK Landline Calls Anytime
£200.00 inc VAT Per Month
With the recent significant price increases for services delivered via the Cumbria and Lancashire County Council Broadband Consortium (CLEO), we are able to offer equivalent services to schools more competitively. Please contact us for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can you serve me and what speeds am I likely to get?
We can only determine this for sure on installation as line of sight is required to one of our masts. Our average customer speed is 35Mbps. We only connect customers if we can deliver a minimum of 10Mbps and no charge is applicable if we abandon an install, which is unable to achieve our minimum speed.
- Can you bring service to my area?
We are constantly looking to expand our network. If you are interested in helping, please contact us. If you can generate enough demand, we will look to bring service to your area.
- How do I speed test my connection?
We recommend using SpeedTest.net.
- The icon in my taskbar says I am connected at 100Mbps or 54Mbps. Is that correct?
This is your connection speed to your router or switch locally within your property, rather than your speed out to the internet so while it is technically correct, this is not the speed you should be comparing broadband services with. We recommend you use SpeedTest.net to determine your connection speed.
- Can I use my existing router?
We provide a router as part of installation but if you wish to use another router, you are free to do. Our technical support staff will not be able to support you with this however. Your router must be a cable style WAN router with an RJ45 port for the WAN interface and support PPPoE authentication. The installation engineer will provide you with your username and password as part of installation that you can then enter into your router. We do not discount the installation cost should you provide your own router.
- What is the installation cost?
We charge a one off installation fee of £149.95 which includes 15m of cabling into your property.
- Can I choose where the engineer installs the device and places the router?
Our engineer will discuss the best location for the device with you when he arrives at your property. While we will try to install the device where you wish, this may not always be possible due to the line of sight requirement to our mast, etc. The engineer will bring the cable into your property where you wish to have your router. Please note that there is a 15m cable run limit and any longer runs may incur additional installation costs.
- How reliable is your network, say compared to fixed line connections?
Very reliable. We maintain a network with built in redundancy to keep you online and our customers enjoy uptime in excess of 99.99%. Should any problems occur, our team of engineers are on hand 24/7. The equipment we use has been designed to be as reliable as fixed line connections.
- Does the weather affect the wireless signal and thus speeds I receive?
Generally not. In some of the worst conditions, we have only ever seen a 5% drop in speeds over our network.
- I plan to keep my existing internet connection which uses wireless alongside your service. Will it interfere with your wireless equipment?
Our service will happily work alongside an existing broadband service. The exterior wireless equipment that connects to our transmission sites operates on different frequencies to your home wireless equipment so will not interfere. Our router will also generally not interfere as multiple usable frequencies exist to allow both your current router and your LonsdaleNET router to co-exist.
- How secure is your wireless technology?
All our wireless transmissions are secured by industry standard industrial strength 256 bit AES encryption known as WPA2 along with several other measures to protect data transmitted over our network.
- What if I reach my download allowance / fair usage amount?
On the Lite package, your connection will be speed restricted until the following month - we will NOT charge you for going over. On our Max package, we won't speed restrict you but our staff may contact you to discuss alternative packages if you repeatedly exceed this amount.
- Can I upgrade / downgrade my package at any time?
Yes! Just contact our office to arrange this. No charges apply for making the change.
- Do I need a migration code from my current supplier to move to you?
Our system operates independently of the BT network and thus does not require any migration code. Your existing service can simply be cancelled after installation.
- What equipment do I need?
Other than a device(s) capable of connecting either a wired Ethernet or a wireless connection, we provide all equipment to get you online.
- Who owns the equipment provided as part of installation?
We retain ownership of the device placed on the exterior of your building along with cabling to the termination socket and the power injector. This allows us to replace any of this should a fault develop. The router we provide belongs to you and comes with a 12 month warranty after which you are responsible for replacing it should it fail. We supply new routers and support only those provided by us. Any equipment purchased as part of installation or post installation from us (such as home plugs, etc) is your property which we support for the standard 12 month warranty period.
- Does your service come with a static IP Address?
- Will you be my Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
Yes. As well as owning the infrastructure to deliver our services, we effectively operate as an ISP on the network to provide you with services.
- How well does your service work with online gaming such as Xbox Live and the Playstation Network?
Very well. Our network has super low ping rates with an average to most of the UK of 10-30ms which is ideal for gaming and video calling services such as Skype.
- Does your service work with Femtocells and Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA)?
Yes. Vodafone SureSignal, O2 Boostbox, EE Signal Box and Three Home Signal Femtocells along with O2 Connect and EE Signal Boost UMA services have all been confirmed to work over our network.
- If multiple people in my area wish to sign up, can you reduce the installation price?
Yes! It is much easier for us to perform bulk installations in a village or area all at once and we would be happy to reduce installation costs to reflect savings we make by doing this. This option is great for Parish Councils who wish to promote our services. Contact us for more information.
- What if I do not own the premises?
It is your responsibility to gain permission from the owner of the premises prior to the day we come to install your service.
- Do I need planning permission, etc for the device placed on the exterior of my building?
Generally not although if you are in a conservation area, live in a listed building, or some other property restricted area, it is advisable you check with the appropriate authorities prior to when we come to install your service. It is your responsibility to gain permission should this be required.
- What about my landline?
You don't need a landline as our service operates independently via wireless using a device fixed to the exterior of your premises. Your landline can be cancelled after installation should you choose. If you wish to keep your landline, our service will not interfere with this as it works through a completely separate technology. Our service includes a Phone Service delivered over our network which your current number can be ported.
- How does your Phone Service work?
Your existing phone simply connects to one of the ports on our router. Alternatively, we sell dedicated cordless phones configured and integrated with our network giving you the best possible experience.
- Can I keep my existing number when using your Phone Service?
Yes. Simply complete the required paperwork and for a one off payment of £29.95, we can post most numbers over to our service within 2-4 weeks.
- What features are supported with your phone service?
Caller Display and Voicemail are included free of charge. Call Waiting will be supported over the coming months and included free of charge. Call Diversion is available simply by paying the call costs as if you were directly phoning these numbers, which can be enabled via the customer portal.
- Can I keep my current email address?
If provided by your current service provider, please contact them. Most permit continued use after leaving. Services like GMail, Yahoo and Live (Hotmail) that are independent of your current provider will work fine.
- Do you provide email addresses?
We believe that other companies such as Google with GMail who specialise in this area are best placed to provide you with such services and do so free of charge. A major advantage of such services is they are Internet Service Provider (ISP) independent meaning you can continue to use them regardless of which ISP you move to.
- At what point can I cancel my existing broadband and landline phone services?
As soon as we have installed your connection, your existing broadband service can be cancelled. If you have chosen to migrate your Phone Service to us, you need to wait until your phone number has been ported across to us until you cancel this otherwise your current phone number will be lost. This generally takes 2-4 weeks and we will inform you of your port date. If your port has been successful, you can then contact who you pay line rental and calls to and cancel services with them. It is your responsibility to honour any contracts you may have with your current provider(s).
- How will I be billed for my connection?
After installation, you will be billed the installation cost along with the remainder of the current calendar month if your installation date is between the 1st and 15th of the month. If your installation is between the 16th and end of the month, you will be billed the installation cost, the remainder of the current month and the following month. This is due to the time it takes to set up your direct debit. Payments for installation are collected via Credit / Debit Card or a cheque can be written made payable to Lonsdale Network Services Limited, on the day of your installation.
Ongoing service bills are generated on the 1st of every month for that month of internet access, along with any calls made over our phone service in the previous month, outside inclusive allowances. Payments are collected via Direct Debit or Credit / Debit Card within 14 days of the bill being generated.
- What if I wish to cancel?
We are sure you will be satisfied with our services but in the unlikely event you wish to cancel, simply give us 30 days notice, as noted in the Terms and Conditions. Within the first 14 days after your installation has been performed, you can cancel and you will be refunded any service charges you have paid. Installation charges will not be refunded.
- What if I move home?
Please call us to discuss this. If we are able to serve your new property, we either need to perform a discounted standard installation (Home Move Standard Installation) if we are not already installed at your new premises. If a device does exist, we simply need to perform a reconfiguration on this device remotely and all that will apply will be a Reconnection Charge. If we are unable to serve your new property or do not wish to take service from us at your new property, and you are on a rolling month to month contract, you simply need to give us 30 days notice to cancel the service.
- How quickly can you connect me?
We aim to have you connected within 10 days of ordering our service, often much sooner.
- Got any more questions?
No problem. Just call us on 01228 808002 or email
Encompassing a mixture of investment, business and technical expertise, LonsdaleNET was formed with the aim of improving broadband speeds, mainly in rural areas, starting within the Eden Valley in Cumbria.
Our mission is to provide high speed, reliable broadband internet access giving you exactly what you pay for. Our dedicated and professional team are here to deliver - what we offer is what you get and that is our promise.
John Robson - Business Development Director
John has many years of business experience and alongside his role in LonsdaleNET is the Managing Director of H&H Land and Property, one of the UK's leading Chartered Surveyors, Land Agents and Valuers. His role within the company focuses on strategy and business development.
Craig Brass - Technical Director
With many years of experience in IT and networking, Craig leads all things technical within the company from coverage expansion to keeping our network running smoothly. His past experience includes setting up the first next generation fixed wireless network within Cumbria in a small village near Appleby, which created a test bed network on which to form LonsdaleNET.
Lord Lonsdale - Non Executive Director
Owner of the Lonsdale Estate within Cumbria, Lord Lonsdale is the primary investor of LonsdaleNET. Struggling with poor broadband for many years, Lord Lonsdale made the business decision to improve things for the community starting in the Eden Valley.
Connected to multiple providers at a major internet "hub" in Manchester (one of two major internet backbone locations in the country), a fibre optic cable, dedicated to our use, connects a number of our core wireless transmission sites to the world wide web at speeds of 1Gbps (1,000Mbps). These sites either serve customers directly or provide microwave links to repeater sites allowing us to expand our network coverage.
We use state of the art next generation smart wireless technology to connect our customers at high speed to the internet. Our transmission devices are capable of 300Mbps split between users connected to that sector. We ensure small numbers of customers connect to each sector to maintain high speeds even at peak times. Further sectors are added to our transmission sites along with new repeater sites as customer numbers grow. Future upgrades to 3rd generation wireless in a few years will permit 800Mbps per sector.
All our transmission sites are monitored 24/7 and are backed up with battery power should anything fail. Generators are available to keep sites operational through longer periods of disruption.
Should any of our sites fail, engineers are also available 24/7 armed with spare equipment that can be swapped out quickly to keep our customers online.
- Phone: 01228 808002
** Please note a £30.00 one off charge applies for porting over existing telephone numbers. We can port most telephone numbers except some provided by Sky. Should a port not be possible, we will contact you to discuss alternatives. New numbers are free of charge.